TagLib 1.6 RC1

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Fri Sep 4 14:03:13 CEST 2009

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:42:55 +0200, Lukáš wrote:
>
>>> Do you encourage packagers to enable the _optional_ (!) ASF/WMA and MP4
>>> format support?
>> I don't encourage or discourage it. From technical point of view they
>> are fine.
>
> Thanks. I was mostly interested in the run-time readiness of these
> new features for now.

Michael,

Before Amarok split out taglib-extras, the ASF code in-tree was
identical as the code here, so it's been given a workout for years.

The MP4 code is different -- the code in Amarok used libmp4v2, and this
does not -- but since it got put into taglib-extras (which is a required
dependency of Amarok) it's been getting a workout, and several bugs have
already been fixed (and the majority of these were workarounds for
corrupted files). I should note that Lukas maintains it based on his
pre-existing code for mutagen, so the only real new part is not the how,
but the specifics of it being on C++.

--Jeff