Getting all tags

j j at intuitivecreations.com
Tue Oct 13 18:59:53 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 12:38 -0400, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> j wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I've noticed that the API seems to be limited to the 7 most popular
> > tags. I have a need to access all tags within a file (or at least check
> > for their existence) and was wondering the best way to go about it or if
> > that would be implemented in the near future.
>
> I think you might have missed the subclasses of TagLib::Tag.
>
> TagLib::Tag contains only those tags that are supported across formats
> (or almost all formats).
>
> For specific tags, you need to use the subclasses, which should allow
> you to get access to *any* tag supported by that format. Generally you
> would get at it by dynamically casting (and checking the result!).
>
> --Jeff

Hi There.
No, I caught the subclasses. I think I just had the wrong idea of adding
a "general" method to give me all tags within the tag class in the
library itself instead of doing the work within my app.

For example, ID3v2 tags work differently then MP4 in that MP4 I can just
iterate through tag items to get stuff, whereas ID3v2 I have to iterate
through frames.

I'll just implement it in my app.

Thanks for the reply!

Justin