Started 2.0 branch

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Thu Jun 11 20:30:29 CEST 2009

Vidar Wahlberg wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 12:37:16PM -0400, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
>> rengels wrote:
>>> Maybe somebody knows a free subversion hoster. The one that I tried
>>> takes three days to reply so it might not be the best selection after
>>> all.
>> Why not just create a branch in KDE's subversion repo?
>
> My question would be: Why not use git & github instead?

That's a question for Scott.  But TagLib is still his software, and he
still develops it in KDE's Subversion server.  If you are planning on
forking it to an entirely new piece of software, that's something else.

I should also mention that Github is not open-source.  Ruby on Rails may
not care about that, but many of the KDE-affiliated people do (not sure
about Scott).

But there's a better solution.  KDE is transitioning to Git, using a
copy of Gitorious (which *is* open-source).  The first KDE application
will be testing the waters with a transition quite soon now.  If Scott
is amenable, I would suggest putting in a request to get TagLib in as
one of the early transitioners.  The benefits of Github + open-source +
KDE support is a winning combination.

--Jeff