taglib's build system

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Jul 8 13:56:36 CEST 2009

On Thursday 02 July 2009, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> > (please CC me, I'm not subscribed)
> >
> > Can we get rid of the automake-based build system in kdesupport/taglib?
> > **/Makefile.am, admin subdir, Makefile.cvs, *.in, configure.in.*,
> > I think it can all be removed since this has been ported to cmake
> > (and is compiled using cmake by default). Please confirm (or do the cleanup ;)
>
> David,
>
> As far as I know, taglib still supports both build systems so that
> projects that use taglib (of which there are a great many outside KDE)
> have a buildsystem/buildsystem template that they can use.  Is there a
> particular reason you want them removed, other than for cleanup?

The initial reason was because the external url broke for some people but we
fixed that by using anonsvn instead, but it got us thinking as to whether the external
was still needed.

The new reason is the future move to Git, which requires that we get rid of externals first :-)

I wonder what's the relation with the projects that use taglib. Surely they can use
an installed taglib even if it was compiled with cmake, can't they?