Support "album artist" and "artist sort" in TagLib::Tag interface?

Jason Voegele jason at jvoegele.com
Fri Jan 9 21:18:02 CET 2009

On Friday 09 January 2009 09:28:55 am Ralf Engels wrote:
> I would propose that TagLib::Tag implements a dummy function for this
> meta informations.
> Then we would be free to add more without further problems.
> And you could add your album artists.

I rather like the idea of a generic "catch all" function that could handle
arbitrary tags.  This would allow for adding new tags without breaking the
API.  Maybe something like the following set of functions, similar to what is
already present in the XiphComment class?

void 	addField (const String &key, const String &value, bool replace=true);
void 	removeField (const String &key, const String &value=String::null);
bool 	contains (const String &key) const;

And possibly a "supports field" kind of function too?

bool supportsField(const String &key) const;

XiphComment and APE::Tag would, of course, always return true for any
supportsField(...) call.

I think something like the above would allow for arbitrary extension of the
set of tags supported by the abstract API, and would allow individual Tag
implementations to decide how to handle the various tags.  For instance, ID3v2
could map addField("ARTISTSORT") to the TSOP tag, etc.

Any other arguments for or against adding generic tag handling such as
described above?

--
Jason Voegele
"Floggings will continue until morale improves."