TagLib and MSVC++ 6.0

Indy Sams indy at driftsolutions.com
Wed Jan 16 21:47:52 CET 2008

Hello Joe,

      Update: Yeah, I see the main problem is that TagLib uses
      Templates so heavily. (modern) Templates + MSVC6 = Bad News
      (usually).

      I'd upgrade to VS 2005 for this project if I were you. It takes
      a while to get used to the newer versions but I wouldn't go back
      now for anything.

JC> By any chance, has anybody put together a succesful build of TagLib which would work
JC> in MSVC++ 6.0?

JC> I searched the archives for this mailing list and it looks like the answer is
JC> basically no ... I've seen other people talking about trying it, but it looks like
JC> they ran into the same problems I'm running into and it doesn't look like they were
JC> able to solve them.

JC> I did find one MSVC++ tree, it was here

JC> http://www.titus-dev.com/index.php?mod=Code%20Library&parent=1&action=view_proj&id=18

JC> But it seems to have gone away since I downloaded it last night.

JC> It was set up for a later version of MSVC though, and the project configuration was
JC> in an XML file ending in .vcproj, which earlier versions don't know about.

JC> I tried manually fixing the project by hand through late last night and this morning,
JC> I can actually get the example file tagreader.cpp to compile (so I am getting
JC> somewhere at least as far as getting the includes straight, I guess) but trying to
JC> build the actual library files I am still getting massive numbers of errors.

JC> Some of them, to be honest, are just beyond me.  I am a fairly good C++ programmer
JC> but certainly not an expert ... for example, the error on this line:

JC> static const uint size = 32;

JC> apefooter.cpp(56) : error C2258: illegal pure syntax, must be '= 0'

JC> To be honest, I don't even know what that means.

JC> Because it is from an MSVC++ build, it would appear that later versions understand
JC> what he's doing here, but not the version I have.

JC> I tried just static linking from binary .lib files, which is a pretty bad idea any
JC> way you look at it, but the best I could get was an error that the dll wasn't found,
JC> and I am trying to static link it without requiring the user to download a dll.  So I
JC> will have to be able to build it myself.  There was a binary static .lib version in
JC> the titus-dev.com tree, but MSVC++ 6.0 couldn't link to it, it said it was an unknown
JC> version.

JC> Anyway ... I could conceivably try to work out the compile errors one by one, but
JC> unfortunately I just don't have the time right now.  So probably I am just out of
JC> luck, but I thought I would check and see if anybody has a working project out there
JC> by any weird chance.

JC> Thanks for any help

Best regards,
 Indy Sams
 mailto:indy at driftsolutions.com

 P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q & R were eliminated.