.oga vs .ogg

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Fri Dec 26 11:34:35 CET 2008

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Just got done diagnosing, and filing a bug, "taglib doesn't grok
> ogg-vorbis .oga files", http://bugs.kde.org/178602 , and would like to
> discuss
> 1.  Whether my initial analysis is correct, ie, taglib assumes .oga files
> are ogg-flac and .ogg files are ogg-vorbis
> 2.  Whether that assumption is valid or wise, if not, what to do about it.

Here's the Xiph bit on it:

http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME_Types_and_File_Extensions#.oga_-_audio.2Fogg

It seems that .oga should be supported for .ogg files, but it's not a
recommended extension for them.  In TagLib 2.0, whenever that comes
around, I think that it'll finally make sense to move some file magic
into TagLib itself, but right now the recommended (and documented) means
of working with TagLib and mimetype detection is to use the file type
resolvers to plug in the platform's file type resolution (i.e. KMimeType)