Extending TagLib::Tag's interface.

Peter van Hardenberg pvh at songbirdnest.com
Thu Apr 24 03:04:17 CEST 2008

Since I haven't mentioned it yet, I should probably note that I'm doing this work for Songbird's 0.6 release, so unless I hear a resounding "don't bother" I can pretty much guarantee some kind of patch making its way to the list. To that end, I just skimmed the history of taglib-devel looking for threads relevant to this project and collected some things I ought to ask on the list about.

1) 2.0?

With 1.5 out in the wild, is it time to start a 2.0 branch? My life will be much easier if I can break binary compatibility. I know Scott has posted some thoughts on what he wants for 2.0, and I think I can contribute to that. On the other hand, if now is not the time to branch, I'll need to do some heavy thinking about how to implement additional fields in a way that is upstreamable without breaking binary compatibility and I will definitely accept suggestions. Songbird is compiled without RTTI enabled, making life even harder for me.

2) Tag::*

Attached is a patch against tag.h which adds a whole heap of fields to the base interface. I have been implementing all these fields using the most canonical information available, the ID3v2 spec, the Xiph.org wiki, the Creative Commons wiki, and such. When I have the rest of the tag formats implemented, I'll attach a new patch and then we can work out the details of field names on a per-field/per-tag basis.

Which bits of metadata deserve promotion to Tag::*? Which ones are just giving me carpal tunnel for no reason?

3) Tag::supports*

Currently, I allow setting an unsupported field on a tag as a no-op, and getting to return null/0/false. Right now I think adding "supportsWhateverField()" with a default implementation of "return false;" would be a reasonable way to let people figure out what their tag formats will do for them. I prefer no-opping to explicit failure for unsupported fields since writing out metadata is usually a non-interactive process where as much information as the file can capture is written. If that makes people go all squinty and press their lips together with disapproval I might be convinced otherwise.

4) totalTracks()

The base Tag::(set)track interface does not provide support for totalTracks. Obviously binary compatibility reasons prevented this from being changed. APE/Vorbis comment seem to be largely standardized on TOTALTRACKS, which could be promoted while still providing support for any other widely used field names in a method similar to the current comment() implementation. ID3v2 still recommends the "/" syntax which could be made available through the Tag interface.

Furthermore, a clever Taglib::XiphComment::Tag::totalTracks() implementation could even support reading and writing both the combined ID3 style storage and a separate two-field approach. I will gladly implement this for you.

5) Tag::set(anyProperty)

In addition to the core metadata properties I would like to be able to set my own completely arbitrary properties in a generic way across all supported Tag implementations. I would also like to be able to enumerate these properties, and, maybe even as many of the properties as can be reasonably interpreted. This is probably worthy of a thread all its own.

6) Images / Timed lyrics / Binary data in general

I have no desire to do any of these at the Tag level and I don't think there is nearly enough consensus between the various specs to make this reasonable.

And with that, flame away!

-pvh