APIC frames added with taglib don't show in Windows Media Player

Roel roel_v at stack.be
Sat May 20 14:48:35 CEST 2006

Hi,

I've written a small program to add picture frames (APIC) to id3v2 tags,
but the pictures I add don't show up in any media players (I've tried
Windows Media Player and a tagger called 'Zortam mp3 studio', I don't
now if Winamp can show the pictures at all). The pictures are there: I
can put them in, extract them again and they show up fine in any picture
viewer. It's just that other programs can't see they're there. Has
anyone had this problem before?

To see where the problem could be, I've prepared two mp3 files: one with
the picture as added by taglib, the other one with the same picture as
added by Zortam mp3 Studio. Then I ran the two files through a binary
diff program and there were only a couple of differences between the
files, I think in the encoding. I made a screenshot of the binary diff
and put it in a zip, together with the two files. I put it on
http://www.stack.be/~roel/mp3aa-test.zip, if anyone has some time to
take a look at it to check it out. The screenshot of the diff only is on
http://www.stack.be/~roel/diff.GIF . Anyone with insights in the id3v2
spec care to have a look and see what they think? To me it seems that
the problem is that in Taglib-made one, the encoding of the description
is set to 0x2253 and in the other one 0x114b, but I don't see how they
get to those values - the only values valid according to the spec are
0x00001 to 0x0004, but I guess I'm missing something. Thanks.

cheers,

roel