TODO - The Windows Geschischte

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Thu Jul 20 01:31:59 CEST 2006

Ok, since this is something of a big topic I thought I'd break it out into a
separate thread.

I think there are three major categories of issues:

- Symbols need to be explicitly exported.
- Build system issues.
- General compatibility issues.

The first one isn't Windows specific since recent GCCs (not the ones I use,
but...) support this as well.  I'll probably take one of the patches, clean
it up and commit that just leaving out the Windows specific defines.  This
should make the size of the Windows patches go down significantly.

For build systems Stefan likes CMake.  CMake seems to be mostly compiler
agnostic (as opposed to picking a fixed version of Visual Studio's project
files).  Are any of the folks working on Windows opposed to CMake or have
other suggestions that they'd like considered?

General compatibility at this point seems to be mostly the use of truncate()
and a missing TagLib::File constructor.  Anything else significant?  It seems
the consensus is that adding an additional constructor that uses "const wchar
*" would suffice?  Are all of the Windows folks fine with that?

Also, one non-technical, but important issue for me is the issue of
maintenance.  I've said for a while that what's blocked TagLib on Windows is
the lack of a maintainer.  Is one of you willing to have Windows related
TagLib bugs assigned to them in Bugzilla?

Cheers,

The three chief virtues of a programmer are: laziness, impatience and hubris.
--Larry Wall