Odd APIC frame

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Thu Jul 13 23:34:18 CEST 2006

On Jul 13, 2006, at 11:13 PM, Norman Palardy wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2006, at 2:51 PM, Scott Wheeler wrote:
>

>> On Jul 13, 2006, at 10:19 PM, Norman Palardy wrote:
>>
>>> I'm working with a few mp3 files from various sources.
>>>
>>> There seems to be a couple that have very odd attached pictures that
>>> taglib gets just slightly wrong.
>>> Apple's iTunes and MS' Windows Media seem to handle these though.
>>
>> Just a guess, but this may be the fact that iTunes has a bug in its
>> synch safe integer implementation (it doesn't use them, basically),
>> so it ends up writing invalid lengths for images which messes things
>> up in some cases.  WMP may have a work around for the iTunes bug.
>> What are the sizes of the images that aren't being read properly?
>
> Manually I copied the data based on the values in the frame (what
> appears to me to be a a PIC frame) into a new file, saved it and
> then opened it in a image editor. So the value seems to be correct.
> It was only 49974 bytes.
>
> The first 512 bytes of the file are (a snapshot from the hex editor
> I use)
> <Picture 1.png>
>
> When I retrieve the apic frame and iterate over the bytes I see
> that the first 11 bytes of the picture data are not part of the
> returned data

Ah, it's ID3v2.2 -- indeed I haven't really tested APIC (or rather
"PIC" in ID3v2.2 terms).  It would be useful if you could file a bug
report (and ideally send me the file with the filename as [bug report
number].mp3 since I won't be able to seriously look at the issue for
a few days and things less often get lost in the bug system.

Cheers,