WMA tag support for TagLib

Umesh Shankar ushankar at cs.berkeley.edu
Sat Mar 12 02:06:27 CET 2005

Hi Scott,

I'm happy to make a TagLib addon, but it's not clear to me from the code
  what is the correct way to do that, in the sense that there isn't a
registration mechanism; it's implicit in the dispatching. I could in
principle subclass the TagLib interface classes and build a separate
library, but then I would need to keep it synced with TagLib changes,
even if the WMA portion would be unaffected.

A cleaner and lower-maintenance way might if I could distribute a
libwma.so (right now, it makes libwma.la to link statically) that would
be loaded at runtime by TagLib, which would then query it to see which
filetypes it handled by MIME type and/or filename and/or whatever other
KDE mechanism, pardon my ignorance) and dispatch accordingly. Given that
TagLib already builds separate libraries for these, it shouldn't be too
hard to do.

It might make sense to incorporate certain changes, such as the
UTF16-without-BOM stuff, into the mainline, since that at least should
be free of copyright issues.

Umesh