WMA tag support for TagLib

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Sat Mar 12 01:33:13 CET 2005

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 1:19, Umesh Shankar wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've hacked up a patch for TagLib that allows it to read WMA tags,
> borrowing some code from mplayer (that code is LGPL'ed, as is TagLib).
> I've tested the modified TagLib with amarok and it seems to work well.
> Writing the tags is not yet supported.

I'm not sure how much I trust the MPlayer code (legally) in general, but per
the stuff below it's now all that important for me.  But I suspect that there
are a number of reasons that most distros won't touch it with a 10-foot
pole.  ;-)

> Since Scott Wheeler is unlikely to add this patch into the mainline (his
> aversion to WMA seems well-documented), I've made them available from
> here: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~ushankar/taglib-wma/index.html

You're right that I for the time being would prefer to not integrate WMA
support, but as Allan suggested it would be relatively straightforward to
distribute this as a TagLib addon rather than just a fork.  TagLib was kind
of designed with the hope that such would be relatively easy.  With that done
I'd then be fine linking to your stuff from the TagLib site.

Looking at the patch, it seems that I should come up with some way to register
new file types with FileRef (actually being able to replace the file
detection there altogether would be preferable), so I'll try to keep that in
mind for TagLib 1.4 which I'll probably start working towards in the next
week or so.

New Orleans food is as delicious as the less criminal forms of sin.
 --Mark Twain