Yammi switched to taglib

Oliver Noelle oli.noelle at web.de
Sat Jan 22 00:49:51 CET 2005

Hi Scott and others,

I'm the maintainer of the yammi project (http://yammi.sourceforge.net), and I
finally switched to taglib for reading and writing tags.

First, thanks a lot for taglib and a really clean and easy API (just how you
would expect it) that made switching to taglib easier than expected. If you
want, you can add yammi to the list of projects using taglib.

Two suggestions for refinements in the docs:

1. class docs for FileRef: "Also note that it is probably a good idea to plug
this into your mime type system rather than using the constructor that
accepts a file name."
=> could you give a reason or example why it is better to use the mime types?
(eg. if I would rename an mp3 file to have an ogg suffix, would the
constructor fail whereas the mime type recognition would still recognize the
file as an mp3 file?) ...this was just not clear to me...

2. FileRef::isNull (or other methods?)
could you add some more details what happens if taglib cannot handle the
file(type)? Eg. if I let taglib try to handle a "readme.txt" file, after
constructing a FileRef, does the isNull() method return true?
What about broken mp3 or ogg files, where exactly in using taglib do I see
which information could NOT be retrieved from the file (by checking
tag()->isNull() and audioProperties()->isNull() ? or does this result in a
FileRef->isNull() ???)
Some more info about error behaviour could be useful in handling files that
are not correct (according to the specs) or not supported by taglib.

But as I said before:

Big thanks for a library with a very easy API and good documentation, I should
have switched to it a lot earlier!

Regards,

Oliver

P.S.
Concerning the future of yammi (in case you are interested):
As I don't have a lot time for further development of yammi, and as it is
basically a one-man-project (with some help and patches from outside) with a
grown codebase which gets more and more difficult to maintain, I plan to
finish a stable version 1.2 of it, and only release another one or two bugfix
versions of it in the near future without introducing a lot new features...

But as I am still interested in digital music management, I was considering
contributing to juk or amarok (eg. by integrating yammi's fuzzy search into
these projects). To be honest, I did not get used to the user interface of
both projects so far (maybe I am too much used to yammi...), but amarok is my
favourite at the moment. So I might offer a patch for amarok in the near
future integrating the fuzzy search into that project.

...just to let you know what my plans are... Good luck with taglib and juk!