[Social-Desktop] Extending OCS API - Content service

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Mon Apr 26 14:36:13 CEST 2010

On 23.04.2010, at 23:14, Ben Cooksley wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 6:05 AM, Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek at kde.org> wrote:
>> Hi Ben,
>
> Hi Frank,
>

>> thanks for your mail. I´m looking forward to integrate the KDE forum.
>> :-)
>>
>> The API can be improved of course as long as it stays compatible with existing clients and servers.
>>
>> The knowledge base calls can be used to publish questions and answers. This information will be used by the knowledge base plasmoid and hopefully the khelpcenter in the future.
>
> I didn't see a way to add items using the knowledge base calls...

Good point. We should add this call. I will make a proposal for a call and send it to the list.

> Also
> it only offers the ability to list items for a specific content entry
> or to list all content items ( which means it isn't too suitable as we
> have no way of exposing the actual forums itself, other than a flat
> tree of latest topics, which wouldn't work for a desktop client,
> brainstorm client, etc )
>
> Perhaps the knowledge base module could have optional "categories" or
> something similar? They would probably need the ability to have parent
> categories also, to best reflect the forum structure...

You are right. We should add better categories.
Could you make a proposal for such an enhancement?

>> I also released a comments module of the api last week which can be used to publish comments threads. It is also possible to post comments with this api.
>
> The comments API looks perfect for exposing the forum topics
> themselves. ( v1/comments/data/7/forumid/topicid )
>
> A good idea to extend it would be to add the ability to tell if an
> item has been read before or not ( this would really be for extra
> functionality though )

Yes. Good idea.

>> A stand alone KDE forum app would be great. But someone has to write it of course.
>>
>> The api is in an early stage and I would love to get feedback from you about it.
>> There is no support in KDE yet for this comments api. But libattica could easily be extended.
>>

>> I suggest that you use this two modules for the forum integration. The content module is used for publish files via GHNS and is not suitable for a forum IMHO.
>
> Ah, ok that makes sense ( especially given that many of the calls we
> would just return nothing for )
>

>> What do you think?
>>

>> Cheers
>> Frank
>
> Regards,
> Ben

It´s great that you plan to integrate with the Social Desktop ideas. :-)

Cheers
Frank

--
Frank Karlitschek