[Social-Desktop] Extending OCS API - Content service

Ben Cooksley sourtooth at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 23:14:45 CEST 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 6:05 AM, Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi Ben,

Hi Frank,

> thanks for your mail. I´m looking forward to integrate the KDE forum.
> :-)
>
> The API can be improved of course as long as it stays compatible with existing clients and servers.
>
> The knowledge base calls can be used to publish questions and answers. This information will be used by the knowledge base plasmoid and hopefully the khelpcenter in the future.

I didn't see a way to add items using the knowledge base calls... Also
it only offers the ability to list items for a specific content entry
or to list all content items ( which means it isn't too suitable as we
have no way of exposing the actual forums itself, other than a flat
tree of latest topics, which wouldn't work for a desktop client,
brainstorm client, etc )

Perhaps the knowledge base module could have optional "categories" or
something similar? They would probably need the ability to have parent
categories also, to best reflect the forum structure...

> I also released a comments module of the api last week which can be used to publish comments threads. It is also possible to post comments with this api.

The comments API looks perfect for exposing the forum topics
themselves. ( v1/comments/data/7/forumid/topicid )

A good idea to extend it would be to add the ability to tell if an
item has been read before or not ( this would really be for extra
functionality though )

> A stand alone KDE forum app would be great. But someone has to write it of course.
>
> The api is in an early stage and I would love to get feedback from you about it.
> There is no support in KDE yet for this comments api. But libattica could easily be extended.
>

> I suggest that you use this two modules for the forum integration. The content module is used for publish files via GHNS and is not suitable for a forum IMHO.

Ah, ok that makes sense ( especially given that many of the calls we
would just return nothing for )

> What do you think?
>

> Cheers
> Frank