[Social-Desktop] Extending OCS API - Content service

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Mon Apr 26 14:27:26 CEST 2010

On 26.04.2010, at 08:05, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:

> On Friday 23 April 2010 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
>>
>> The API can be improved of course as long as it stays compatible with
>> existing clients and servers.
>
> Wouldn't it be good to plan for a version 2 of the API, which is not
> completely backwards compatible? I have a list of things, which I would like
> to see changed, and I know others have as well. Of course I see the effort of
> maintaining two version for a some time, but I guess it would be better to
> make a revised version at an early before even more applications are using it.

Yes. I an ideal world we could break the API already and work on the next version and port all the clients and servers.
But it is a lot of work to maintain different versions of the API at the same time.
We still have to support the old GHNS API for KDE SC < 4.4 for example.

By the way we already have a brainstorming page for the next version:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/open-collaboration-services-brainstorming

I think we should start to work on the incompatible version 2.0 beginning of next year but not earlier.
In the meantime I plan to release several new compatible API versions later this year. ( 1.x )

Are there features we can´t implement with 1.x ?

Cheers
Frank

--
Frank Karlitschek