[rkward-users] Bravo

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Mar 8 20:47:21 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Thursday 08 March 2012, Francois Maurice wrote:
> RKWard is the best R GUI available. Really nice job and it is a lot of job.
> It is also serious job. I'll try to participate to the development of
> RKWard in a near future.

thanks for the flattery, and I'm very much looking forward to your
participiation. Please note that I do not have a whole lot of time for the
project at the moment (I hope that will improve again, soon). Just so you know
that if you don't get feedback immediately, that's not for a lack of interest.

> The biggest drawback is the dependence of RKWard
> on KDE. KDE is heavy and not so easy to install. But hey, I guess KDE has
> advantages.

Yes, one of the key advantages is the text editor component. Also KDE is
currently working on becoming more modular, so the KDE dependency will
hopefully become less heavy in the not-too-distant future.

> Perhaps we are due for a simple and elegant website to better
> promote RKWard, something like the Web site of RStudio.

The website is definitely in need of some love. As you can see this is
currently based on a wiki, to reduce the maintenance effort. But even within
this framework, a lot can certainly be done both about content and design. I
have just given you editor rights in the wiki, so you can start working on
improvements. Of course, for larger changes, and esp. for changes to central
pages, please do your work on a temporary page, first, and ask for feedback on
the rkward-devel mailing list, if in any doubt.