[rkward-users] Boxplot label

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 04:38:38 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Thomas Friedrichsmeier
<thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Friday 20 April 2012, Carlos Bessa wrote:
>> I'm using rkward to analyse some experimental data and I'm hitting a
>> problem when plotting a box plot (haven't tryed other plot type yet).
>> I have many "samples", and because the x labels are horizontal... some are
>> missing due to lack of space (see pic 1).
>> I've also tryed a vertical box plot, expecting the x labels to remain
>> horizontal... but no. They change to vertical... and so there's not enough
>> space this way either (see pic2).
>> Is there a way to change the x label position to vertical, or 45º? I also
>> haven't found a way to change font/size.. but perhaps there isn't any?
>
> well, sadly, we simply don't have any of this covered, so far. You'll have to
> make some adjustments by hand:
> - Prepare all other aspects of the plot using the GUI.
> - Copy the generated code from the bottom of the boxplot GUI, and paste it to
> a blank script file.
> - Modify the call to boxplot() by hand. The parameter to control label
> orientation is "las" (0, 1, 2, or 3; see ?par). The parameters to control
> scale and font are called "cex.lab" and "font.lab".
>
> In fact, we should probably provide support for at least orientation and scale
> in the plot options GUI. In case you (or somebody else) would like to look
> into contributing that, take a look at the "plot_options"-plugin.

I have started to implement these (las, cex.axis are included in an
additional "Annotations" tab under Plot Options). This will go through
many iterations before we settle on an acceptable placement of options
on the GUI. Once I get some more of these par attributes in there, you
can let me know your opinion.

--
Prasenjit