[rkward-users] Proposition of changes on crosstabulation plugin

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Mar 31 20:00:38 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'll reply to your points in a different order of writing.

> PD2: I sent this message to the users list not to the developers list,
> because some one could test the plugin with this changes and make
> suggestions, and I have see that many people want to get contingency tables
> with more information, well there is a method :)

I'll take this to rkward-devel, instead. While of course this is correct, the
main point of having separate lists for users and developers is to avoid
flooding all users' inboxes with the details of the development (which often
generates a lot of noise). We do regularly invite subscribers of rkward-users
for testing, before new releases are made.

*This* mail still has rkward-users in CC, so nobody will be left wondering
about the reply, but please send further follow-ups to rkward-devel.

> I think that we could make a repository of user contribuited plugins, or
> forks to the existing plugins.

We have the beginnings of that since RKWard 0.5.5. See Settings->Configure
RKWard->Plugins->Install or uninstall add-on plugin packs.
http://rkward.sourceforge.net/documents/devel/plugins/external_plugins.html
for documentation on how to create such "plugin packs". Currently, this
repository is hosted on Meik's server, so you will need to get in touch with
Meik for details on uploading.

On Thursday 31 March 2011, Andrés Necochea wrote:
> Some weeks ago I sent a message to the developement list with a proposition
> of changes on the crosstabulation plugin of rkward. In a conversation winth
> Thomas, I propose a function that use ftable to add statistic to an R
> contingency table. Thomas make some fixes to this function.
>
> I attached the file containing the plugin. At now, doesn't have many
> features, only uses the bind.tables function to include the statistics in
> the main table. It will include % of row, % of column, % of total, an chisq
> expected.

I only had a cursory look so far. I have some changes in mind. Will try to
give you detailed feedback within a few days. As a first detail, here's another
slight simplification I made to the bind.tables() function, shortly after our
discussion about it. I believe it does all that we want, but test for
yourself:

  bind.tables <- function (...) {
     tables <- list (...)
     output <- unlist (tables)
     dim (output) <- c (dim (tables[[1]]), length (tables))
     dimnames (output) <- c (dimnames (tables[[1]]), list (statistic=names
(tables)))
     ftable (output, col.vars=2)
  }

> I'm working in the bind.tables function to work on a matrix with more than
> two dimensions.

Perhaps the above version of bind.tables() can be extended to more dimensions
more easily, too.

> I tryng to make some changes on the dialog of the plugin to include a tab
> with the table options.

Alternatively, consider adding those options to the first tab (which already
has the chisquare option). But of course this is just a detail, and can be
changed, easily, at any time.

> Beside, I'm planing to change the rk.results function to include a method
> to print a ftable class object.

Out of curiosity: What will be the main difference(s) with respect to
  rk.print(some_ftable_object)
?

> If some one have a suggestion, or a correction to this plug in, please tell
> me.

Again, I'll try to give you more detailed feedback within a few days.