[rkward-users] ggplot2 - package installation error

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Jul 14 17:53:00 UTC 2011

hi sourav,

am Donnerstag 14 Juli 2011 (17:41) schrieb Sourav Chakraborty:
> It is giving me dependency error. I tried to install the dependencies
> one by one. But it did not work. The error codes were coming back in
> loop. I have attached the error codes here. Hope this will help explain
> the problem better.
>
> Here are the pastebin files:
>       * http://paste.ubuntu.com/644178/

the important part:

<snip>
gcc -I/usr/share/R/include      -fpic  -std=gnu99 -O3 -pipe  -g -c Hmisc.c -o
Hmisc.o
In file included from /usr/include/bits/errno.h:25,
                 from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
                 from Hmisc.h:5,
                 from Hmisc.c:1:
/usr/include/linux/errno.h:4:23: error: asm/errno.h: No such file or directory
</snip>

so the header file "asm/errno.h" cannot be found on your system, but is needed
to compile the Hmisc package sources. it's not a file from an R package, so
you can't fix it by installing other R packages. you need to find out which
ubuntu package provides it. run this on a console:

 dpkg -S asm/errno.h

it will search for "asm/errno.h" in all available packages, and show you that
it's found in the package linux-libc-dev and linux header packages. once
you've installed what you need (e.g. "sudo aptitude install <package name>",
i'd go for the linux-libc-dev package first), try the R installation again.

> On a second note, I have observed some libraries were present in
> multiple locations. Was there any default location where they should be
> present (such as /usr/lib/R/library)?

R can handle several library locations. this allows you to have your own
package collection in your home directory so you don't need sudo. on a
distribution like ubuntu with an advanced package management system i would
always prefer to keep it this way, so you don't accidently overwrite files
from an ubuntu package, or revert manual changes with the next package update
without notice.

> Also, is there an easy to way to uninstall packages beside remove.packages
> () function in R?

you can manage most official/common packages by the debian/ubuntu package
tools, i.e. (un)install them as .deb packages. try this on a console:

 aptitude search r- | grep "GNU R"

as for packages in your home folder, you can simply delete the folder with the
package name and the package is gone, too...

> P.S. I am using Ubuntu 10.04 with kernel-2.6.38-10-generic, 2 GB RAM and
> intel 2.00 GHz processor.

for problems like this one, it's always helpful to know the R and RKWard
version numbers as well. there's actually a special function for this, called
"rk.sessionInfo()". you can call it in RKWard to generate all information the
developers desire to know ;-)

viele grüße :: m.eik

--
dipl. psych. meik michalke