[rkward-users] Call for testing: RKWard 0.5.4-pre1 / Release schedule

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Sep 23 16:01:54 UTC 2010

Hi!

Once again, a nice number of fixes and improvements has accumulated in the
development version of RKWard, and I would like to make those available in an
official release, soon. As usual, before doing so, we need to do some more
testing, and I would like to invite you all to participate in that.

A tentative timeline for the release / the testing is at
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=Release_Schedule
. The targetted release date is October 4, with the testing phase open until
September 30. Of course the deadlines will extended, as needed, if needed.

--- Testing ---

Please download the 0.5.4-pre1 release and give it a try (both the source
release, and packages for openSuSE and Ubuntu are linked from
http://p.sf.net/rkward/download ; binaries may need a few hours to be built; a
windows installer package will follow, shortly). Here are some things to watch
out for in particular:
- The data-editor now supports editing row.names. Use Edit->Show/Edit row
names to give this a try.
- Prasenjit Kapat has implemented a very nice plot history feature for
onscreen graphics. Please give this a good round of testing, so we can iron
out any remaining quirks.
- R 2.12.0 is scheduled for release on October 15. If you have the chance to
test with one of the prerelease versions of R 2.12.0, that would be very
helpful.

Please try to provide feedback by September 30.

--- Translators ---

.po and .pot files are located in the po-subdirectory of the source tar.gz, as
usual. Please provide your updates by September 30.

--- Contributors ---

The following changes are currently allowed in SVN:
- Bug fixes
- Documentation updates
- Trivial additions

If you would like to make any other change before the release, please post to
the mailing list, first.

SVN will be branched and unfrozen shortly after the end of the testing period.

--- Packagers ---

Note that RKWard no longer requires PHP at runtime since version 0.5.3 (the
PHP-backend is still functional, but not used by any of the plugins), so if
your packages still depend on PHP, you should drop that dependency.

We will prepare a release candidate shortly after the end of the testing
phase, and then give you a few days to perpare your packages. Details will
follow.

--- Windows users ---

A windows binary will follow, shortly. Probably we will not find the time to
create a "complete installation bundle" during the testing phase. However, you
can simply make a copy of your existing installation of KDE, and then update
this copy using the RKWard on Windows installer.

--- Mac users ---

Mac users are always encouraged to give these instructions a try:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=RKWard_on_Mac .

These instructions have worked at least once, but other users have reported
problems. We continue to be in need of your feedback about this.

--- Closing words ---

Remember: There's always many ways you can help, with or without programming
skills. Testing is one important way to contribute, but for instance our wiki
/ website is always in need of love as well. If you have time to spare, your
help will be very welcome.

Thanks!