[rkward-users] network proxy

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Nov 25 08:50:32 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Wednesday 24 November 2010, Mischa Vreeburg wrote:
> I have a problem. At work I'm behind a proxy.
> When this is configured so that I can download and install the packages,
> I can't use the help browser, because it ignores the NO_PROXY setting.
>
> This wasn't in the builds of the end of october.

if I read you correctly, you are using our daily builds (or the SVN version),
and you see this problem after updating, recently?

The most prominent change in the development version is that GUI frontend and
R backend now run in two separate processes (which fixes the rJava-issue, you
reported, among other things). So one possible cause I can think of is that
the NO_PROXY environment variable is set for one, but not for the other
process. Environment variables set before starting RKWard should be available
to both processes, but environment variables set from R, afterwards, will only
affect the backend side. How / where do you set NO_PROXY? Does it work, if you
start RKWard as
  NO_PROXY="127.0.0.1" rkward

If it doesn't, what is the output of
  .rk.getHelpBaseUrl()
run in the R Console of rkward? If you enter that url in a separate browser,
can you connect (you'll only see a message that this path is not allowed, but
still)?