[rkward-users] off topic: using rkward syntax highlighting in gedit?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue May 18 08:48:24 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Tuesday 18 May 2010, Matthieu Stigler wrote:
> I wonder whether it would be possible to use the nice rkward R syntax
> coloration in gedit? The problem is the file for kate
> usr/share/kde4/apps/katepart/syntax/r.xml
>
> seemed to be diferent than those used by gedit:
> /usr/share/gtksourceview-2.0/language-specs/R.lang

unfortunately, these are simply incompatible highlighting systems.

> Is there nevertheless a conversion possiblity?

I am not aware of an automated conversion tool. The systems do use similar
concepts, as far as I can see, so perhaps it is reasonably possible to convert
manually. But it is not going to be trivial. In case you want to give this a
try, I'll be happy to answer questions about the r.xml.

For reference, here's a tutorial for gedit highlighting definitions:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtksourceview-2.0/stable/lang-tutorial.html

And here's the one for kate:
http://www.kate-editor.org/article/writing_a_kate_highlighting_xml_file