[rkward-users] [Help] RE: Install from source on ML 2010.1

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sat Dec 18 10:43:45 UTC 2010

The following forum message was posted by hmhxmu at http://sourceforge.net/projects/rkward/forums/forum/165574/topic/4014040:

Hi Thomas,

[quote]The bad news is that I'm afraid I can't help you much further at this
point.
[/quote]
I really appreciate the time you have put in on this already, with some
success.

[quote] It may be a good idea to take a look at the Mandriva src.rpm for R 2.11.0,
and see which configure-flags are being used, there.[/quote]
While I found the src.rpm package I don't know how to determine the config-flags
of the source. Do I install the RPM, then untar the tgz component, and then
search?  It may not be relevant anymore, anyway.

[quote]
I came across this:
http://pkgs.org/mandriva-cooker/mandriva-main-release-x86_64/R-base-2.12.0-3mdv2
011.0.x86_64.rpm.html
[/quote]
I followed through on this, downloading
[url]http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/mandriva/Mandrakelinux/devel/2011.0/x86_64/med
ia/main/release/R-base-2.12.0-3mdv2011.0.x86_64.rpm[/url]
and
[url]
http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/mandriva/Mandrakelinux/devel/2011.0/x86_64/media/ma
in/release/lib64lzma5-5.0.0-2mdv2011.0.x86_64.rpm
[/url]
from the Mandriva Cooker site, and installing (successfully it appears).
This writes the R libraries to the standard ML locations.
Before this I had uninstalled, then re-installed rkward 0.5.3.
Now:
[code]
[root at penguin R-2.12.0]# R

R version 2.12.0 (2010-10-15)
Copyright (C) 2010 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: x86_64-mandriva-linux-gnu (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> q()
Save workspace image? [y/n/c]: n
[root at penguin R-2.12.0]# quit
bash: quit: command not found
[root at penguin R-2.12.0]# exit
exit
[mhudson at penguin R-2.12.0]$ rkward

R version 2.12.0 (2010-10-15)
Copyright (C) 2010 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: x86_64-mandriva-linux-gnu (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.
[/code]

However R still has a problem:
[code]
[mhudson at penguin R-2.12.0]$ R

R version 2.12.0 (2010-10-15)
Copyright (C) 2010 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: x86_64-mandriva-linux-gnu (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> setwd('/penguin/mhudson/CTC/Rachel/shrinkage')
Error in setwd("/penguin/mhudson/CTC/Rachel/shrinkage") :
  cannot change working directory
[/code]
and for rkward, while the GUI looks OK ,
a persistent error attends each command:
[code]
setwd('/penguin/mhudson/CTC/Rachel/shrinkage') # R 2.12.0
Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : cannot change working directory

ls()
 [1] "age"            "aggrisk"        "aggrisk.expd"   "aggrisk.glm"
 [5] "aggrisk.obsd"   "apparent"       "appMH"          "blood.pressure"
 [9] "cell"           "cholesterol"    "counts"         "d.AD"
[13] "dd"             "dd1"            "expd"           "f"
[17] "glm.D93"        "j"              "k"              "l"
[21] "L"              "lp"             "MI5"            "MI5.glm"
[25] "n"              "obsd"           "outcome"        "p"
[29] "p2"             "p52"            "p52g"           "p53"
[33] "p54"            "pp"             "run5a2"         "run5p2"
[37] "rung"           "rung.bw"