[rkward-users] Help on rKward

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Apr 18 19:23:48 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Sunday 18 April 2010, Ronaldo Reis Junior wrote:
> I'm testing rKward and it's become a great GUI for R on linux, mainly
> for new linux users. I'm not a new linux user and I use Emacs for my own
> R's script. But I always try new GUIs or IDEs for to recommend to my
> students. The most dificult for new R and Linux users is: I have
> installed R on my linux but I dont found the R icon. This happen because
> R on linux have only the R-Console in your basic installation. After
> this barrier, users can install JGR, Rcmdr, etc. Anyway rKward is the
> best way to new Linux users start to use R. Lets go to my specific problem.

thanks!

> The problem is the use of rKward for the heavy R user but new Linux
> user. Heavy R user dont use menus (they use rKward most like a script
> IDE than R GUI) and normally dont need to use the rKward output, made
> automatically by using rKward menus or manually using rk.print() and
> rk.header() function. They normally use sweave or a ascii output with
> comments. That is my problem? Exist anyway to save my ascii output from
> rKward to a file without need to use the copy and paste function?

One possibility is to simply use
  sink ("filename.txt", split=TRUE)
(see ?sink).

As another option, RKWard 0.5.3 will also have the option to export the
contents of the R Console as HTML, including syntax highlighting of the input
(you may want to try the 0.5.3-pre1 preview release that I created a few days
ago; File->Export as HTML).

Another option that I plan to add, soon, is to "carbon-copy" the console
input/output into RKWard's output window. This will not be part of 0.5.3,
however.

Are any of these, what you are looking for?