[rkward-users] [rkward-tracker] rkward does not start

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Sep 13 14:13:10 UTC 2007

Hi,

a quick note first: the rkward-tracker list is really meant as a read-only
list for reports submitted via the trackers
(https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=50231). Manual mail is best
addressed to rkward-users or rkward-devel, depending on the content.

Since this may be of interest to many users, I'm sending the reply to
rkward-users.

On Thursday 13 September 2007, sdn wrote:
> When I try to start rkward i get the following error:
>
> /usr/bin/rkward.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/rkward.bin: undefined
> symbol: R_LastvalueSymbol
>
> I found only one similar problem in
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.bugs.general/302176
>
> but no solution
>
> Any sugestion about that?

This is due to a change between R 2.5 and 2.6. Debian unstable now has a
pre-release of R 2.6, so this is why you see the problem. I have committed a
fix for this to the development version, but there is no fixed release, yet.

To work around the problem, either
a) downgrade R (package r-base) to 2.5.1
or
b) download and compile the SVN version
(http://rkward.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=RKWard_SVN)

I'll try to get a fixed version of rkward into the debian archive, soon, but
this may still take a while to happen.