proposal to re-work the welcome page

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue Apr 26 16:29:01 BST 2022

Am Samstag, 23. April 2022, 18:00:05 CEST schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> Am Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:30:24 +0200
> schrieb meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de>:
> > i think instead of a link to the addon configuration it would be more
> > helpful if it opened the package installation dialog, second tab,
> > with the checkbox for RKWard plugins activated -- is that possible?
>
> I'm a bit reluctant about this, as it would mean two very similar links
> (both to the package installation dialog). Also, I think a pointer along
> the lines of "there's other add-ons as well" is useful in its own
> right, even if it may require some extra clicks after that.

ok, but i still think we should make installing plugin packages more obvious/
accessible. the current link opens a summary with more links, and the dialog
you reach from there is just configuring the use of wizards of already
installed plugins, and from there you get to the config to (de)activate
already installed plugins. only if you explore a little you might get to the
installation dialog. it's well hidden ;)

for my taste you should be presented a list of all installable plugins with no
more than one click.

> I also think the installation dialog is in need of a rework (less
> dialogs popping up, better indication of what will be done, and, yes,
> better visibility for the "RKWard" filter option (maybe even sorting
> the rkward packages into an own category - but not sure about that,
> yet).

perhaps we should distance ourselves from the fact that these are ordinary R
packages, when it comes to the way users are able to manage them. that is, not
(at least: only) put them among all other R packages, but dedicate a tab to
them exclusively, instead of only a checkbox, or even a standalone dialog
window. i think that should be accessible from the dashboard.