RMarkdown preview

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Sep 29 13:18:22 BST 2018

Hi,

On Sat, 29 Sep 2018 10:50:33 +0200
meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> i just tested the new preview for RMarkdown documents -- great! i
> used an existing report i wrote a while ago, and it looked like it
> should.
>
> there's no extra buttons yet, only the preview menu, right?

that's right. BTW, the R Console preview is not yet, what it's supposed
to be. It was working fine, until I added local() around the commands,
and now it's a bit pointless. Working on that.

As for "final" rendering, I figured a plugin might be the tool of
choice? As it would likely include various output formats and options
(not necessarily in a first version, of course). I wouldn't mind, if
somebody else could take a look into this!

> two odd things i noticed:
>  - i couldn't freely resize the width of the preview, is that
> intended?

Works for me. There is a splitter between the two views, and you should
be able to grab that and move it left or right. Can you confirm that
this works? In that case it might be enough to make the splitter handle
a bit more prominent.

>  - i wasn't able to use the scroll bar in the preview window, i.e., i
> could only see the top of the document; it might have something to do
> with focus? felt like there was an invisible layer on top of the
> preview

Hm. Also cannot reproduce. Can you select text inside the preview?

Oh, wait, I can reproduce this, if and only if a status message (e.g.
warnings/errors) has been generated. But no problem on a "clean"
preview. Can you confirm this is the pattern you are seeing, too?

> keep it up :)

I'll try!