first draft of an RMarkdown export plugin

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Sun Oct 14 20:01:22 BST 2018

hi,

Am Sonntag, 14. Oktober 2018, 12:53:23 CEST schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 21:01:45 +0200
> meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> > support for v1 is there for backwards compatibility only, it looked like
> > "too important" if it was on the same tab. does that make sense?
>
> I had guessed as much. Well, let's leave it like this for now. Do add a
> <stretch> on the second tab, though, to fix the layout.

done.

> > adding more options would either mean tinkering with the document
> > itself somehow, or probably use the configuration parameter of
> > pandoc(), i.e. generating a temporary configuration file.
>
> As far as I understand, you can override those using the output_format
> parameter in render(). Of course that may be more work than it's worth.
> I was just wondering what further options the plugin _might_ get,
> eventually.

very good hint -- i've re-written half of the JavaScript sections to now use
rmarkdown::render() in favor of plain knitr::pandoc() where it offers output
format objects, and that also did the trick with specifying templates!

check out the new version of the plugin, it's pretty great already:
 https://galactica.psycho.hhu.de/seafile/f/37d018e8bb554c3385b2/
 - now uses rmarkdown::render() most of the time
   - templates and other in-doc configuration works well
   - saves the target file without intermediate template file
 - target is suggested automatically from source file name
   - but prevents overwriting the source.md with the exported.md where needed
 - some additional formats (like html_vignette or beamer presentation)
   - i've also added both "first format" and "all formats" features of
     render() to not be limited by the menu; in fact, i think the first is a
     better default than picking one of the formats statically