"memory not mapped" error during system() call

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun May 6 17:08:43 UTC 2018

On Sun, 06 May 2018 16:16:25 +0200
meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> when i call
>
>  system("R_HOME=\"~/software/R/R-3.4.4/lib64/R\"
> ~/software/R/R-3.4.4/bin/R CMD build --no-manual --md5
> ~/package/roxyPackage")
>
> i get this error in RKWard:
>
> <error>
> * checking for file ‘~/package/roxyPackage/DESCRIPTION’ ... OK
> * preparing ‘roxyPackage’:
> * checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
> * installing the package to build vignettes
> * creating vignettes ... ERROR
>
>  *** caught segfault ***
> address 0x68, cause 'memory not mapped'
[...]
> if i run the same code from a plain R session, it just works like it
> should:
[...]
> so i guess it's an issue with RKWard's R console, maybe?

I'd be very surprised if it was. After all, this is even in a
completely separate process (going via system()). What could play a
role is some subtle difference in env vars (and RKWard could play a
role, there). Noteably, perhaps LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

For starters, try
  system("~/software/R/R-3.4.4/bin/R -e 'RSys.getnenv()')
from both rkward and plain R. (No good idea on how to diff those
conveniently, but you'll find a way).

Also, are you sure the R version running in RKWard is the same as the
plain R session? Why do you need to set R_HOME, explicitly?