Is it possible to improve generating .pot files from English .docbook files?

Jaap Woldringh jjhwoldringh at ziggo.nl
Mon Jan 30 15:34:39 UTC 2017

Op 30-01-17 om 15:42 schreef Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> If there was a way to mark up up the translatable bits inside the
> <programlisting/>s such that only those will be extracted, that would
> probably help translators a lot. Is there a way to do this?
>
> Regards
> Thomas

It's not only in the program listings that translating or not
translating is a problem. Also outside the listings, the examples are
discussed, and if in the discussion things have other names (ids ?), no
one is to understand and the listings, and the discussion.

In a second pass I intend to adjust the discussion to the examples, so
that I 'll keep the names in the examples intact, and in the discussion
use them too, with a translation of what the names mean. Hope that it
makes things clear to the newbe user, and, increases their English
vocabulary :).

This makes this translation different from the ones I have done so far.

The documentation is very technical, of necessity, but still one of the
things in my (short) list of possible improvements is just that: can it
not be made less technical, using language every native English speaker
understands. For someone without any programming experience (and if they
have they don't need most of the documentation), much is incomprehensible.

The other thing on my short list so far, is long sentences. Shorter
sentences are necessary. Most people who need a translation are people
with less than a university education, for otherwise they would use the
English, original text. Possibly this is for transators only: to chop
long sentences into shorter ones?

It's becoming more and more clear to me that I need to do some more
passes through the entire document.

There is one thing that scares me though: if this text is only
provisory, and needs to be translated again sometime later, I must say
that I shudder at that idea... but trying to translate it as it is now,
gives you the chance to get suggestions from me :) for what they are
worth. And possibly from other translators.

Greets,

Jaap