Is it possible to improve generating .pot files from English .docbook files?

Jaap Woldringh jjhwoldringh at ziggo.nl
Sun Jan 29 19:53:31 UTC 2017

Op 29-01-17 om 18:23 schreef Albert Astals Cid:
> This thread is a textbook example of why top posting makes things hard to
> read.
>
> TBH I'm not sure what the problem is, is the problem that there are some
> extracted tests that shouldn't be translated since they are "commands" ?
>
> Cheers,
>    Albert

I agree that top posting should be avoided :)

The topic was started by me, the Dutch translator of &rkward; . I
encountered (one so far) message string which is way to long, covering
more than two A-4 pages when copied into LibreOffice. I did not count
the number of lines, too difficult for me.

Said message string was in rkwardplugin.po, a very difficult to
translate .po file as it is already, and encountering a complete
docstring file is a very unnerving experience.

I asked what can be done about this, suggesting that such monster
messages be divided into a number of smaller ones.

Of course a translator can do this himself, but I think that translating
should be made as comfortable for the tens, or even hundreds of
translators around the world.

Another suggestion, from Thomas Friedrichsmeier, who reacted very
sympathetically to my mail, is that somehow  should be made clear to
translators what to translate, and what not. It is very easy to
translate the given code examples into chunks of unworkable rubbish,
which is not what anyone wants.

My suggestion is to use another colour of font (I said letter, but I
guess it should be font) for text which must not be translated.

Myself I have an idea what should be left alone and what not, having
some programming experience, but I am quite certain most translators don't.

I hope you are now informed (as far as I am), and hope your cry for not
top posting will be honoured :)

As I am new to this forum, let me introduce myself:

Jaap Woldringh, Dutch, retired math teacher, dabbling with programmable
HP RPN calculators from 1976, with micro computers from 1981 (Acorn
Atom, BBC-B), and with programming in Fortran (self taught, brrrr,
Pascal, Basic, FORTH, and so on, and some knowledge of the more modern
programming languages, latest one is Python. As a math teacher I don't
program: I only make little programs for mathematical problems, so I am
not really a programmer.

I translate into Dutch a number of mathematical programs, mostly kdeedu,
for more than 10 years now, though I don't use the KDE-dsktop anymore
since they moved from KDE3 (perfect for me) to KDE4 and later, not so
perfect.

Greetings from

Jaap Woldringh