Option for saving workspace

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Aug 15 18:05:31 UTC 2017

Hi!

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 15:40:37 +0200
meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> RKWard replaces q() with a custom function, which calls
>
>   .rk.do.plain.call("quit")
>
> since the above call currently ignores all arguments given to q(),
> calling it with 'save="no"' has no effect, which in turn invalidates
> workarounds like changing the default formals of q(). i also didn't
> manage to start RKWard with R interpreting the "--no-save" option
> (e.g., by using an alias).
>
> i think the best approach here would be to actually evaluate q()'s
> "save" argument.
>
> @thomas: does RKWard's closing dialog already support further
> arguments, so that replacing the R functions q()/quit() would be
> sufficient?

That should be possible. I'll try to remember looking into that (hint:
reporting a wish might help: https://rkward.kde.org/bugs).

I'm a bit unsure, what would be the expected default behavior, though,
and whether we need anything special to support it for the activities
usecase. The general expectation would be that RKWard restores the
running session as close as possible, right? So what we'd need to do is
not simply quit without saving, but save to some standard location,
without asking, and restore that on the next run?