order of plugins

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Mar 10 20:48:04 UTC 2016

hi,

Am Donnerstag, 10. März 2016, 21:16:53 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 18:08:51 +0100
> meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> > when RKWard detects a new plugin, it is added at the top of all
> > existing plugins.
>
> I don't think that is the case? It is true that pluginmaps that you add
> _via the dialog_, manually, are often added to the top.

yes, that's it. it happened to a collegue on mine.

> Here the possibly non-obvious logic is to add at the currently selected
> index (if any). I could change that to always bottom, easily.

i think that would be a preferable default.

> > wouldn't it be better to append it instead? adding
> > stuff before even the basic menu structure is loaded can lead to
> > strange results.
>
> Of course the best practice to avoid the worst mis-placements is to
> use <require map="rkward::menu"/> in your pluginmap (not sure the
> documentation mentions that, somewhere, or in a place where you'd be
> likely to find that bit...).

you sure must have mentioned that at one point, because in rkwarddev 0.07-1
(2015-03-13) i added an option ("require.defaults=TRUE") to rk.XML.pluginmap()
that does that by default ;-) it also adds
 <require map="rkward::embedded" />.

so at least plugins generated with rkwarddev >= 0.07-1 should be fine already.

viele grüße :: m.eik

PS: thanks to some feedback from alfredo i was able to improve the workflow
for embedding plugins in rkwarddev a bit. there's also a new function
rk.JS.methods() which is hopefully useful if you want to append JS method
calls to objects in your code. we'll have to test whether a new S4 class would
be useful here, it currently just returns a character string.