Preview - Input needed?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Jan 29 16:35:55 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 16:46:18 +0100
meik michalke <Meik.Michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 26. Januar 2016, 10:21:46 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> > well, I am mostly "done" with the preview feature, and arrived at a
> > solution that I am quite happy with, so far.
>
> now that i've played around with the power plugin i must say that
> this preview thing totally rocks \o/
>
> i would like to be able to use this for plots as well, i.e., not open
> them in a detached graphics device, but as part of the dialog. that
> could also be used for demonstrations, e.g. effects of settings to
> distributions. the full- fledged graphics device should then only
> appear if you hit the submit button.

Well, I don't want to encourage inconsistency, here, so please regard
this as "experimental" for now (we can discuss, what should be the
"regular" behavior, of course):

You can achieve that by adding placement="docked" to the
<preview>-element(*). Except, of course, hitting submit will not produce
an onscreen graphics device for existing plugins, but render to a file
and show it in the output window. That's actually one of the two
concerns I have about this approach:

1) Will the plots fit into the available screen space, when docked?
2) How do we bridge the gap between preview (without menubar and
toolbar, when docked) and output window (static image)?

> speaking of the plot previews, one thing that is constantly bugging
> me is that disabling a preview automatically "hides" the dialog
> window behind RKWard's main window.

Yeah, ok, bug. Will look into this.

(*) Note: Obnoxious error message about nested graphics operations
fixed in your next git pull.