Previews - another new thread

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue Feb 2 20:34:18 UTC 2016

hi,

Am Dienstag, 2. Februar 2016, 20:44:25 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> Your mockup seems to make two(?) key suggestions:
> 1) Code preview back at the bottom.

right.

> - Code preview will then change its width depending on whether a second
>   preview is active at the same time. In your mockup it looks like the
>   code preview will have ample room, but once the plot preview is gone,
>   it would actually be somewhat squeezed, again. With no other preview
>   active, that's pretty much the situation we have, now, and most
>   dialogs are actually "too narrow" for a useful code preview, today.

that is true. is find it mmore natural to read from top to bottom, but haven't
tried the to-the-right-approach yet.

as a plugin author, i find it easier to construct my code so its width fits my
dialog (or my dialog width so it fits the code...) than to imagine how wide a
user might have pulled his/her preview window. as soon as you want to see
both, code and plot preview, almost all dialogs today are not high enough for
proper display. i guess you'll have to resize one way or the other.

> - The horizontal layout implies that I can configure the width of the
>   (code) preview to my liking (while the height depends on the size of
>   the dialog), instead of the just the height. I find that rather
>   useful.

you can already change the width of dialogs, at least make them as wide as you
want. but i am usually less interested in parsing code from left to right, but
from top down, so i would always need to stretch dialogs' height a lot, using
a lot of space. with the code at the side, it might become difficult to
compare code of two dialogs next to each other -- this works great now.

but well, there's always a suggestion to make it more complicated ;-) this
could be configurable. a dropdown for plot/code/result/custom previews with a
selection of "left", "right" and "below" each.

> 2) Move the buttons to the top. I'll admit, I don't fully understand
> why?

when you suggested to put them at the bottom, to me it feelt like they were
harder to find then. i wanted to see how it would be if this was done similar
to the mail editor of kmail, for instance, where you have a second bar with
the most important buttons directly below the menu bar, above everything else
("send", "to outbox"...).

but i can also understand the idea behind moving them down. it's more like the
"ok or cancel" thing. i guess it's just a different "feeling" about the nature
of those dialogs, maybe.