[rkward-devel] Usability progress, testing on Mac

Aaron Batty abatty at sfc.keio.ac.jp
Thu Sep 24 08:54:09 UTC 2015

Typically it's installation of the software (R, then RKWard—but I provide
the right version of R in class) and the concept of packages that causes
problems. I've already spoken to Meik and Thomas about some of the data
import confusion.

I also must remind you that the OECD recently found that Japanese young
people have the worst computer skills of any developed nation. There really
isn't much to be done about it.

It's actually most confusing for the (handful of) Windows users, since it
just decompresses to a folder, from which you run the executable. They
aren't used to that, and it causes a lot of confusion, as does the fact
that a terminal window stays open as they use it. They have no idea what it
is (despite the fact that over half of them are information studies
students).

I have written a detailed manual for everything we have to do in the class
to address most of the issues.