[rkward-devel] rkward crash

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Sep 6 11:50:03 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Sun, 6 Sep 2015 11:35:06 +0930
Ashley Greenwood <ashleyjg at student.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi,
> Running Ubuntu precise LTS thru Vbox on an now oldish Toshiba laptop.
> Graphics card won't let me upgrade to more recent Ubuntu.
> Consequently I'm using rkward 0.5.7-2build1.
> <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rkward/0.5.7-2build1>
>
> Last night I upgraded R to 3.2.2 from 2.15 ish to run more recent
> packages.
>
> When starting dialogue 'R-engine has died' (graphic attached). The
> dialogue said I should email you.

ok, thanks. But in fact in this case, it's an expected / known problem.
You need at least RKWard 0.6.1 for R >= 3.0.

> I've re-installed 0.5.7-2 a couple of times.  I will now be trying to
> install and run version  0.6.2.

That is the way to go. Better yet, use the most recent version: 0.6.3.
Note that we have a PPA of ready-made packages for most Ubuntus,
including precise: https://launchpad.net/~rkward-devel. You'll want to
chose the "stable-cran" variant
(https://launchpad.net/~rkward-devel/+archive/ubuntu/rkward-stable-cran).

> This small piece of work is all I need to get rid of my PhD.  Hope it
> can be easily surmounted.

Best of luck. Let us know, in case you hit any further problems.