[rkward-devel] splitting repos?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Oct 24 11:40:51 UTC 2015

Hi!

On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 12:58 +0200
meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 12. Oktober 2015, 14:05:53 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> > > this might also be a good idea for the XiMpLe and rkwarddev
> > > packages, which are currently part of the RKWard sources and
> > > cannot be tagged/cloned individually.
> >
> > Yes, probably. Though I tend to think that we'd want to keep these
> > on git.kde.org, rather than github.
>
> hm, now that i'm looking into this, i'm wondering if it could confuse
> the KDE team to have two pure R packages on git.kde.org. for RKWard,
> the repo is git.kde.org:rkward.git, so we'd also have
> git.kde.org:rkwarddev.git and git.kde.org:XiMpLe.git. don't you think
> these two were also better off on github?

I don't think that's an issue. kde.org is moving towards higher
diversity (and that was part of the reason, why we went there, too),
and there are quite a few repos on git.kde.org today that are no
"KDE/Qt" software in themselves. For rkwarddev, I think the case is
relatively clear: IMO, it's clearly tied to RKWard, and should be on the
same primary infrastructure, also in terms of mailing list, bug
tracking, documentation, etc. It's more than a mere add-on. (In fact,
rkwarddev development is not so very independent from RKWard
development, also in terms of releases and such. Which is a - weak -
point for keeping it inside the main repo itself.)

For XiMpLe, there may be a case for splitting it out further. It does
not necessarily share the same target audience both in terms of users
and developers. Still I would not expect a problem on the end of
KDE, wrt hosting this on git.kde.org.