[rkward-devel] splitting repos?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Oct 16 15:36:23 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 16:31 +0200
meik michalke <Meik.Michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> i tried to reconstruct the JS code with
> rkwarddev means already, but it can probably be optimised further.

this is getting off-topic, but: The generation of the JS is still what
I like least about rkwarddev. Trying to debug JS code that is all
quoted, without syntax highlighting, and interspersed with fragments of
R code is always giving me a headache. Perhaps this might be a
good opportunity to think about a - slightly - less integrated solution
for this, where the JS file could be kept on its own, instead of
inline-quoted? I could think of two approaches, neither of which may be
ideal, but perhaps they can trigger some further ideas:

A) Fully manually written .js-file. However, rkwarddev would scan the
getValue/getString/.../Header.add/...-calls in this file to check
whether all given IDs can be resolved, and whether all elements of the
UI appear to be used at least once in the JS.

B) A mostly standalone .js-file with a tiny bit of templating. Here,
inside getValue()-calls, etc. backtick-quoted strings would be
interpreted and the appropriate IDs filled in by rkwarddev. Such JS
could also be kept inside the main rkwarddev-script, but could easily
be copied to an editor window with JS syntax-highlighting. Or it is
kept in a separate file, and you still get the benefits of automatic
insertion (and checking) of IDs.