[rkward-devel] RKTeaching [was: Usability: Reading CSV]

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Oct 10 06:31:39 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 22:07:23 +0200
meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> i've been mailing with alfredo off-list a little, to think about how
> we could proceed. we could do this on-list again, or coordinate the
> three of us off- list? i just didn't want to bloat the list with a
> some minor issues i detected in the package ;-)

I see. I'd suggest we try to discuss the "grand plan", here, while it
makes sense to discuss more specific issues among just those involved.

> i was parsing all XML files with rkwardev, it turns out
> plugin2script() can also be used as a debugger tool, because it
> complains about every typo it finds in attributes, misplaced nodes or
> unknown modifiers used.[*]
>
> before we start with the actual i18n, i'd like to write an rkwarddev
> script for each dialog which can then be used as a flexible base to
> go on. it tested this with a first dialog and it took me only a few
> minutes to get to a working copy of the original dialog (including
> the original javascript code, though).

Not trying to stop your enthusiasm, here, and might be worth-while in
the longer term. But are you sure this isn't a distraction, right now?
At least I don't see how it would help us with i18n / switch to
English? (And neither how switching to English /w i18n, first could
get in the way of switching to rkwarddev, later?)

> alfredo offered me access to the github repository of the package, we
> could work in a separate branch there and, as you suggested, release
> packages in our repository -- or quickly set up a repo for testing.
>
> would that work for you?

Pretty much anything would work. This is up to Alfredo to decide, IMO.
However, Alfredo, if you would like to invite community contributions
to your package, in general, then the rkward-community repo looks like
the most suitable place to me.

> [*] we could do this with all plugins present in RKWard before the
> next release. a few days ago i fixed the "types" attribute
> (misspelled "type") in <varslot> nodes of several plugins, which i
> accidently spotted with plugin2script().

Yes, a check like this is likely to turn up a whole bunch of small
issues. We should do this, indeed.