[rkward-devel] Usability: Reading CSV

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Oct 3 06:18:08 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 08:51:38 +0900
Aaron Batty <abatty at sfc.keio.ac.jp> wrote:
> I know that translation was the big project recently, but to clarify,
> this means that you guys have implemented a system for language
> packs, or at least alternate UI text, right? If so, is it something
> like an XML table where the same UI element can have different
> rows/columns with different languages, with English being the default?

well, the implementation is a bit different (see
http://api.kde.org/doc/rkwardplugins/i18n.html for detail). In essence,
you write the plugin once in English. Then translatable strings are
extracted from it by a script, then translators translate these
strings. Translations are shipped as a pack containing translations for
(typically) several plugins, but only one language.

> And taking the next step, what would be necessary to get Alfredo's
> stuff translated? I remember digging around in it when he presented
> it to the list and realizing that it could be translated, but it'd be
> about going into every single file and replacing the Spanish with
> English and saving it out as a separate version. Is this streamlined
> now magically? Or would his work first need to be updated to use the
> new translation system?

The system is much saner today, but the key problem is that we need
English as the primary language of the plugin. And so, in fact the task
_is_ going into every single file and replacing Spanish with English.
(Some additional small tweaks are needed, here and there, I can take
care of those, but not of the translation).

> Since I use this for teaching basic stats, I was really interested in
> rk.Teaching. There was some really useful stuff in there.

I suppose the best approach might be to try to break this down into
more managable chunks. E.g. if you have a short list of the most wanted
dialogs, we can split those out, and ask the KDE Spanish folks for
advice on how we can get these translated to English.