[rkward-devel] Workspace Window, now with mockup.

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Nov 6 12:47:44 UTC 2015

On Fri, 6 Nov 2015 13:18:43 +0100
d_jan <d_jan at ymail.com> wrote:
> > For "Show all Environments":
> > - remove the option from the "main" UI
> > - keep it in the context menu
> > - change the default back to showing all environments.
>
> Yes, makes sense (particularly since the current in-between-ish way
> is a bit irritating)
>
> I wonder a bit if the context menu option is a good idea. Those who
> want to hide the "other environments" (for whichever reason?) may not
> find it, others may trigger it involuntary. Since the "other
> Environments" are non obstructively collapsed, I would think about
> generally showing both without a switch.

Good point. The reason that kept me sticking to the option, somewhat,
is that we have the same widget in <varselector>s (the "data picker
source"). Here, it makes a lot of sense to list only .GlobalEnv by
default: Vertical space is considerably more limited, and picking an
object from .GobalEnv is what you would do, probably 99.9% of the time.
For that one odd in a thousand, where you are actively looking to use
an object, e.g. from "package:datasets", there should be a way to get
to the full list. This is currently in the context menu, and that in
again is shared between workspace tool window and <varselector>.

Well, this should be solvable, somehow. Also, the context menu could
use a bit of cleaning up, too, I guess...