[rkward-devel] Workspace Window, now with mockup.

d_jan d_jan at ymail.com
Fri Nov 6 12:18:43 UTC 2015

Am 06.11.2015 um 11:12 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:

>> /It organizes the workspace in two groups, the "My Data" or "My
>> Workspace" which groups all user created objects and data (globalEnv)
>> and the "other Environments".

> that part is now ready for you to look at. I moved the expand / collapse
> indicators to the left, since otherwise they would go out of view, too
> easily.

looks great!

>> This change would possibly render "Show all Environments" and
>> "Functions/NonFunctions/All" unnecessary and maintains one
>> view/concept without putting your data suddenly in a .globalEnv when
>> showing all Environments.
>
> This not done yet. My plan forwar is:
>
> For "Show all Environments":
> - remove the option from the "main" UI
> - keep it in the context menu
> - change the default back to showing all environments.

Yes, makes sense (particularly since the current in-between-ish way is a
bit irritating)

I wonder a bit if the context menu option is a good idea. Those who want
to hide the "other environments" (for whichever reason?) may not find
it, others may trigger it involuntary. Since the "other Environments"
are non obstructively collapsed, I would think about generally showing
both without a switch.

> Functions / NonFunctions, and possibly also "Hidden Objects" will be
> moved to an expandable / collapsible "Filter" tool section. This will
> also include further options to refine searching for objects.

Yes, this sound like a good way of serving both beginners and advanced
users’ needs.

Regards,
 Jan