[rkward-devel] Usability: Informal/Heuristics based remarks

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Jun 3 10:30:54 UTC 2015

Hi Jan,

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 10:32:38 +0200
d_jan <d_jan at ymail.com> wrote:
> Hello RKWard Devs,
>
> While I was on it, I put some not-so-discussion-prone bugs and
> proposed fixes in the wiki (+Screenshots) –
> https://community.kde.org/RKWard. Part of it builds on Abattys
> suggestions:
>
> - Data Import. Suggestion: "Import Data" is error prone, submenu seems
> to provide same functions. Suggestion: Let’s get rid of "Import Data"

ok, getting rid of this is easy, of course, and you finally got
me convinced that it's better than the current state. But for
clarification: In an ideal world, would the dialog still go away, or
would it be improved to make format selection more obvious (or more
automatic)?

> - 2-List-Selector Bug (found in Recode). Under certain conditions the
> toggle arrow gets stuck on one position.

Currently the logic is: If something is selected in the target list
(the one on the right hand), then the arrow is pointed left.

AFAIU your suggestion is simply to change this to: If something is
selected in the target list _and_ the target list has focus, then the
arrow is pointed left. Correct? Or it might lose the selection when
losing focus?

Ah, reading again, I see that you suggest using two buttons, instead.
Yes, I think that makes sense. For the case of single item selectors
(such as "Select variable to Recode" on the first tab), we'll stick to
the current single button solution, though, right?

> Results of the what-to-do-about-optionlist design and analysis come
> soon.

Great!