[rkward-devel] Usability: Informal/Heuristics based remarks

d_jan d_jan at ymail.com
Tue Jun 2 18:53:17 UTC 2015

Am 02.06.2015 um 13:52 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
[…snip…]

> Small hint, on following the bleeding edge development, easily: This PPA
> provides daily builds for Ubuntu, i.e. should have the buttons by
> tomorrow:
> https://launchpad.net/~rkward-devel/+archive/ubuntu/rkward-dailys

Thanks. Great!

[…snip]
> To some degree. But I think the search and filter-options actually still
> make sense for both groups / use cases. Searching/filtering by name
> (or label) is something that can easily come in handy even for novice
> users (e.g. dealing with wide datasets containing many variables).
> Filtering by class, type, dimensions, etc. may be targeted at more
> advanced users, _but_ this is somewhat orthogonal to what objects get
> shown: In many (most?) cases the objects of interest to search through
> will still be those inside "my data"/.GlobalEnv.
>
> So that's why I think the two windows might end up looking confusingly
> similar. But perhaps I did not understand your idea quite correctly,
> or you have some nice solution for this up your sleeve...

Your doubts are totally valid imho.

What might be a solution along the lines of the currently used dialog
would be making the toggle between data/whole environment more prominent
possibly via a tab (my data | environments). For the environments tab,
the "show all environments" switch would then be dispensable, "all,
function, non-functions", "show hidden objects" would be kept, a
filtering option or whatever the future brings could be on both.

I think it would improve the situation for only-data-users, so they must
not make up their minds about the options (which are hard to set on a
data-only-view for beginners) and having the ever visible tabs the risk
of confusion about "which window am I in?" would be greatly reduces.

Regards,
 Jan