[rkward-devel] i18n of plugins in rkwarddev

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue Sep 2 15:29:15 UTC 2014

hi,

Am Dienstag, 2. September 2014, 15:14:50 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> For rkwarddev-based plugins, I guess this is a very interesting option. But
> I don't think it can become "the" approach to translation in the long run.

yes, it's more like a quick-and-dirty thing to kill time until there's proper
support.

> I see two basic problems:

totally agree.

> Having a message catalog separate from the code sounds like a good idea,
> here. If it's in a standard format (xgettext), this also allows to use
> existing translation tools and translation infrastructure (such as
> launchpad).
>
> This may or may not be easy enough to change/add?

could be. anything is possible ;-)

> 2. On the level of "hand-made" (non rkwarddev) plugins, having separate
> files means, any fix to a plugin would require fixing all localized
> versions, diligently.

right.

> However, once I do manage to add proper i18n support inside RKWard, most of
> your code will become obsolete

not neccessarily -- it depends on what file formats and structures you'd like
to have then. i can likely tweak i18n() and the other functions into producing
something totally different instead, so the same scripts would still kind of
work. you'd just have to run them again. i take it translatable strings would
still need to be tagged, so some sort of i18n() function should to be i place
there anyway.

if you mean the code for the new functions... well, that was really just a few
lines, nothing to worry about. it is a really, really simple solution.

> So that makes it a question of how much more work you'd have to put in to
> it.

actually, i'm finished for the moment. the only thing missing would be
implementing a check for the "lang"/"xml:lang" attributes in conflicting
pluginmaps, but that would need to be done in RKWard, so i won't attempt that
anyway ;-) even without it, you can now produce plugins in different languages
in static format, easily.

i'd say it's as well a question of how long it will take until proper support
for i18n is available. the longer it takes, the more useful an interim
solution could be, at least for plugins already written in rkwarddev.