[rkward-devel] Call for feedback: Translating RKWard plugins

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Oct 27 18:46:38 UTC 2014

On Monday 27 October 2014 16:58:38 Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> Now the .pot syntax does not look too complex, so it might be possible to do
> this in one pass (and without the xgettext requirement), but I was not sure
> enough of exactly what tricks xgettext might apply e.g. to special
> characters.

Well, thinking this a bit further, that would not get us very far, either.
After extracting messages (xgettext) comes merging updated strings with
existing translations (msgmerge), and after that comes compiling message
catalogs (msgfmt). Short of replacing _all_ of these, plugin maintainers will
simply have to have GNU gettext utils installed in order to provide translated
/ translatable plugins. So when the other day I wrote, there is no R-only
solution to be had, that still stands.