[rkward-devel] RKWard Git repos up for testing

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Nov 11 09:47:34 UTC 2014

Hi!

On Monday 10 November 2014 21:19:11 Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
> The branch switchover seems to have been handled correctly by svn2git.
> Just don't push the backup tags.

Ok. Good.

> Version tags are usually called v1.2.3 in KDE, not release/v1.2.3. You
> may want to change that for consistency with other KDE projects.

Done.

> Note that you can use regular expressions to generalize rules.

Yes, I stumbled across that bit, when I was just done writing all the separate
rules.

> The
> lack of consistency in names (or branch/foo/ vs branch/foo/rkward)
> makes things harder, though.

Indeed (also some have underscores instead of dots, some are called release-
rkward-x.y.z, others just release-x.y.z), and so I just left the conversion
script as is (except for adjusting the tag names).

I'm glad to see all that inconsistency was so easy to fix in the conversion.
The drawback is that this makes it so much more obvious, that I've done a
rather lousy job at tagging releases (so many tags missing) ;-).

> Remember to run "git gc --aggressive" on the repository before pushing
> it. svn2git produces very badly optimized git packs. Running gc can
> shrink the repository by half or more.

I ran
  git repack -a -d -f --window=250 --depth=250
and that got the size down from some 80+ MiB to just under 10 MiB (almost
insultingly small ;-)).

> Other than that I approve this conversion \o/

Thanks for your feedback! I'll give this another day or two, then, for
everybody to look at, then request moving it.